Thursday, February 26, 2009

Week 5 Share it

Seeking to know God through Prayer
Week 5 – SHARE It!

---------------------------

Objective: Seeking to know God through Prayer – What is
prayer?

Key Verse: For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous
and his ears are attentive to their prayer. 1 Peter 3:12

---------------------------

WATCH THE VIDEO FROM THE PRAYER SERIES – WEEK 1.

What is prayer? It is communication with God. It is like
picking up the phone to call a parent or a friend to share exciting
news, or a really painful day. But...with God, you never get a busy
signal, voicemail, you don't have to wait for Him to call you back.

What are some of the reasons people fail to pray?
Here are some reasons Sheri fails to pray: Since no one talks back to
me, I get bored. I am not really sure how to pray sometimes. I get
really distracted easily and sometimes I actually forget that I am
praying. I might think that God has more important things to
spend His time on. Why pray if my prayers don’t even make a
difference?

WHY DO YOU FAIL TO PRAY?
______________________________________________

LEVELS OF PRAYER
There are levels of prayer based on your relationship with the
Father. You can relate it to a friendship. When you first meet a
friend, you might just talk with them or see them occasionally -
or talk on the phone, but as your friendship grows, you
increase your time together.
As we grow in knowing God as our Father and as our
intimacy with Him increases, our prayer life should follow.
___________

Everyone has a different relationship with God because we
are unique individuals. Isn’t it cool that God loves us and
our individuality?

Various Kinds of Prayers
Just talk! to God
Get real - be transparent
Kneel prayers – Get on your knees
Arrow prayers – short prayers while driving, thinking, talking
with others. These are just short prayers that lift up what is on
your heart at THAT moment. I am the queen of these!
Eat Carpet prayers – Get to the lowest possible place to pray to
the Most High God. I ate a lot of carpet when my mom died.
Pray always – When you finish, start again.
Fasting prayers – Withholding food and using that time and
hunger pains to remind you to pray for something you are really
seeking God on.
Scripture prayers – God’s word never returns void. If you don’t
know what to pray, pray the Word.
Speaking prayers (Mark 11) Speaking to something in Jesus
name because God has already given you authority over it and
you just need to exercise that authority!
Spirit prayers – When you don’t know what to pray.

Most of the time I fail to pray because I get so busy and wrapped up in life that I just run out of time. I try to just talk to God and I do well for a while, then something distracts me. I know He knows what is in my heart, but I don't think its enough to make a difference. What kind of problems do you run into or do you have suggestions to help us out?

No comments:

Post a Comment