Sunday, March 8, 2009

Week 6 - Group it!

GROUP “SHARE!” TIME

Consider sharing methods that you use to slow down. Today in
our groups, we will stop the distractions, be still and spend time
with the Father.

INDIVIDUAL SEEK TIME

Find a private place to dwell on God, His presence, His names
(from week 3), a scripture (some are listed below), pray, or just
rest in Him. Decide how you would like to spend your time.

Scriptures

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me
lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he
restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his
name's sake. Ps. 23:1-3

If you are not having periods of rest, maybe you should ask,
“God, am I missing it?”

My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes,
in undisturbed places of rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn
from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find
rest for your souls. Mt. 11:28-29

Are you at rest? I am not talking about the sleeping kind of rest,
but a peacefulness that is unexplainable in your soul? I (Sheri)
lost my mom to cancer in 2006. I grieved and missed her so much,
but with all the pain, I had a peacefulness in my soul that could not
be explained in words.

Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane,
and he said to them, "SIT HERE while I go over there and pray."
He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he
began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, "My
soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. STAY
HERE and KEEP WATCH with me." Going a little farther, he fell
with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is
possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as
you will." Then he returned to his disciples and FOUND THEM
SLEEPING. "Could you men not keep watch with me for one
hour?" he asked Peter. "WATCH AND PRAY so that you will not
fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak." He
went away a second time and prayed, "My Father, if it is not
possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your
will be done." When he came back, he AGAIN FOUND THEM
SLEEPING, because their eyes were heavy. So he left them and
went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same
thing. Then he returned to the disciples and said to them, "ARE
YOU STILL SLEEPING AND RESTING? Look, the hour is near,
and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. RISE,
LET US GO! Here comes my betrayer!" Matthew 26:36-46
If you are listening, Jesus will tell you through the Holy Spirit
what to pray, when to rest, when to keep watch, when to pray,
when to be still, and when and where to go.
NOW “SHARE!”

Gather back together. Share how this quiet time ministered to
you.

How is God transforming you in your relationship with Him?

Celebrate and pray for each another.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You hit home with me just like Pastor Craig does in his messages!! Must be a God thing, as they say.....
    Actually, this morning when my alarm went off I was soooooooooo comfortable so I lay there talking to God. Funny that I usually fall back asleep (yes, I'm just another disciple) so this morning, looking back, I had pictured my eyes made up with gorgeous mascara looking so beautiful (If you know me you know I never wear makeup of any kind). This was totally unconscious of me but I do remember it now. So every time I closed my beautifully mascara'd eyes I fluttered them open again. Just another example of God's sense of humor I'm sure!
    Another thing, last evening I started reading "A Lotus Grows In The Mud" by Goldie Hawn. From that, this blog, and a card my nice niece gave me continue to remind me, "You are my shepherd, I will not be afraid." How awesome is that?
    So when asked how I hear God, there are many answers in my life: thoughts, happenings, words, just everywhere I turn I hear Him. However! There are times when He has to slap me upside the head!!

    Thank you, Jesus, for these awesome women who speak in your Name. I love them all.

    MissTheresa

    ReplyDelete